Sunday, May 05, 2002

I couldn't help but pour over Rolling Stone's 50 Uncoolest Records, the opposite of their last month 50 Coolest feature (w/their disclaimer that these are albums they actually love - kinda like guilty pleasures)... I find it vaguely patronizing, a few of the artists deserving of some other tribute than "it's so bad it's good". I'm always compelled by arguments of taste because in 20 years, someone get's a facelift (metaphorically speaking) and the world is in love with them all over again... Case in point: Burt Bacharach. I'm currently listening to Reuben (from Ladytron)'s Datamath Phat Camp mix from Emperor Norton. I'm debating on seeing them this wednesday, but that's beside the point. I got to thinking about the whole Electroclash scene -- One hand, I want to throttle the GenY kids for rifling through my New Order and Yello LP's, telling them "enough goddam nostalgia", but on the other hand, I want to give them props for coloring in the lines, making something refresh, yet artful (that music was pure aesthetics if anything...) I think it's good to have a healthy irreverance hese days. Case in point? Fischerspooner - the troupe from NY that establishes a working link between Avante Guarde and the Solid Gold Dance numbers. As long as there's a sense of fun, a sense of creativity as opposed to fashion... Ann Magnuson said the world is divided into the Cool and the Groovy. The Cool are calculating and seldom take risks, the Groovy are all about taking chances and looking foolish. Fischerspooner probably apes the Cool, but are being pretty groovy...

No comments: